Monday 3 November 2014

Flat Plans - Magazine





Here I have produced a more up to date version of how I am planning on doing my magazine pages. In my original flat plans I had intended to do a road mapped with clothes at various points but I have now decided to do more of a focus on your typical fashion magazine style layout. Although my original style was quite fun and my target audience is quite young I thought it best to keep to quite a classic look as it is easier to read and I think it will actually appeal to them more rather than being just a novelty page.


Rationale

The type of shot I'm planning on using for my front cover will be a full body/three-quarter body shot of my model taken from the front or slightly to the side, this is because most fashion magazines tend to use this set up as it allows you to see a majority of an outfit which would pull the audience in more as they can see the sorts of clothes that are going to be featured inside without having to even open it.
As with most of my images the front cover picture will likely be taken outside so the lighting used will be high key, natural lighting. I think for the colours I will black and white the background of the image while leaving the model in colour, this is because while taking the pictures outside will create a beautiful backdrop, it could also make the image appear quite 'busy' and so by muting this by filtering it black and white the focus will remain on my model. This more subtle imagery will also likely appeal to my target audience more as they will likely be more attracted to more simplistic and elegant designs.
I have, in previous posts, explored fonts and colour. I am planning on using two or three of my top 5 selected fonts for the entirety of my magazine, possibly with one neutral font put in in the 'article' and 'trend' sections on my third and fourth page as that would be easiest to read and most like what would be present in a real publication. 
The colours I am planning on using have also been shown in a previous post but I am thinking of only displaying two or three of these colours on my front cover, again to reduce an appearance of 'business' as this, if it were a real product, may put off my target audience.
The costume, hair and makeup that will be on my model will be the same as it will be on the images inside of the magazine, as it would be on many other magazines that are already available. It allows my audience to see what the theme of this month's magazine is without having to open it and will encourage or deter people from buying it depending on their interests. The facial expressions and body language she will display will hopefully be quite neutral and so this will not directly appeal to men but not put them off buying it if they so wish, and it will not isolate women from purchasing the product, again increasing the likelihood it will appeal to my target audiences.
There will be no real 'props' in my work other than my model's horse, who will be bareback for some if not all of the photos, we may also use other locations around her village if we see fit and so the settings and props will all be very realistic. Again, this will appeal to my target audience as they will be able to identify with the lifestyle if not the specific area.


No comments:

Post a Comment